“Clean Up”

Despite my unfortunate technical difficulty with Mad Mapper, (Sorry about the last min anxiety – I should have asked for help sooner) I am overjoyed to have finally made this project a reality. If I had more time, I would have liked to focus more on the content of the videos and used a less intrusive sensor. (Perhaps, the nike + thing someday.) Mostly, I’m excited that all this is possible!! This class made me really happy and I had a lot of fun! Here is my final presentation:

Special thanks to:     Snorer – Matt Palasz     Singer – Amanda Estes     Swearer – Tory Speert

Here’s the video without the installation. “Clean” and “Dirty.”

 

Advertisements

Hardware Fun

ArduinoPingFirst sensor setupUnder the HoodBehind the ScenesSensor
Computer SetupFront of HouseMad Mapper

Video For New Media, a set on Flickr.

I was jealous of the kid across the street. He got science kits. I got dolls. Dolls. Redemption begins today. This Arduino- it makes me happy. I enjoy the “copy code, make it work” thing. I found great satisfaction in plugging in the wires, it made me feel powerful. I got a ping sensor to go with it. Ultimately, I think I would have been better off with a different sensor, but even so I’m glad I had something to experiment with.

I found some code here: http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Ping?from=Tutorial.UltrasoundSensorand and a great tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_GcoicsNJs

Thanks Gabe for your help making the Arduino work with Max! I look forward to learning more about all of this. :o)

The answer is “LoadBang”

Max

I found the interface to be impressive- the visuals made it easy to understand, and I enjoyed figuring it out. Using the basic examples Gabe gave in class it seemed pretty easy—–at first. Through trial and error, I learned a lot about what doesn’t work and became obsessed with figuring it out. I felt like I was crafting “The Way Things Go” but could’t get the damn tire to hit the hammer at the end of the ramp. (But I knew it was possible.) One night I drudged for hours and went to bed thinking it would never work. Then a 3am epiphany ended up solving the entire problem. Funny how things work out.

The hardest part? Figuring out which keywords would locate that random blogger with all the answers. If you don’t know what something is called, it’s pretty hard to look it up.

So here, here is my tangled web of code, blood, sweat, tears, and video:

It may be ugly, but I love it like a mother loves her young.

 

Swiffer

Swiffer

The best way for me to maintain balance is to keep my space clean.

When brainstorming interactive video ideas, I thought about how my life becomes clear when things are clean. This metaphore could be presented as an interactive video to help a viewer experience the anxiety that I face when something is unclean and the relief that cleaning brings. I decided that a Swiffer would be a cleaning tool that could “clean up” the video. I thought about what would be seen as universally “dirty.” – Literal Dirt? -Something visual like a scar or smoke? -Something annoying like a stutter or snoring? -Chaos and Crowds? – Scrambled video/ static?

I planned to use a nike+ sensor stuffed into the Swiffer to create a wireless activator, but upon arrival it was too hard and will be saved for down the road when I learn more about electronics. 🙂

I settled on using audio annoyances as the universal “dirt” in my project. Snoring, Singing Off-Key, and Excessive Cursing. Here are a few of my sketches:

 

Mixed Frames on a WallSingle frame on WallFour Frames on a Wall

Mash-Up

I presented clips from “SuperSize Me” in reverse order to give the illusion that eating McDonalds helps with fitness and weight loss.

My goal for this project was to present information that is obviously wrong in the same way that any PSA would present a new idea. (In a catchy, trustworthy, informational tone.) By doing this, I wanted the viewer to acknowledge the wrong information and realize that they may have believed it had they been less familiar with the subject.

Admittedly, this was a tall order to ask of my audience. And,  I believe there are some things I could have done to make the concept more understandable. I wish I had cut more “workout” clips throughout the piece to better show the transformation from “Fat to Skinny “and if possible, used actors instead of the movie. I think prior knowledge of “Supersize Me” distracted the viewer.

So here it is: watch; listen, and don’t believe everything that’s sold to you!