Where does it go? What niche will it fit into? Is it art? A consumer product? A ‘lifestyle’ product? Is it high design? A commodity? Experimental? A kit?
Who / Where would sell it?
- – MOMA Design Store
- – Rough Trade
- – Urban Outfitters
- – Any Art Museum Shop
- – Small Gadget Boutiques
- – Think Geek?
What price range? ( Under $20? 50 Bucks? Over $500?)
- – $80 / $149 Depending on Finish
What website would talk about it?
- Perceptual awareness
- When you play, your mind begins to make associations – color with sound, and if you are aware of this brain connection, you can witness a sort of unconscious synesthesia.
- We would create an app to get / buy it
- Create Buy in thru less expensive app / then physical collector edition / or vice versa?
Who is the most influential person that would be interested in it? Do you ‘follow’ them? If not, start.
- – Brian Eno
- – NotCot
- – Neil Harbisson – Color Cyborg
- – Golan Levin
- – Rough Trade Guy
- – Kinetic sculptors?
- – Myth Busters guys?
- – Arts / Design / CMYK
PROBLEM / MOTIVATION
Are you filling a need? WHY do you want to make this? Being sure that this problem/motivation is real and important in some way is critical to your success.
What already exists in this space?
- – Little Sun
- – Otamatone
Who/what would be your competitors? What do you have that they do not?
- – Fine Wooden Puzzles
- – Sculpture
- – http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/05/08/rainbow-stacking-mus.html – rainbow instrument
- – Other beautiful objects
Describe your reason/motivation. It can be a silly reason, an aesthetic reason, selfish, personal, altruistic, indescribable. Just be honest about your motivation.
- – A new way to play with senses, and synesthesia
Do you like it? Be sure that you have some level of passion about this thing, because if it becomes a success you’ll have to do it all the time.
- – Yup
How will this happen? If you find yourself feeling scared/nervous/overwhelmed by this section, simplify. It will be better to finish something small than fail at something large.
Do you have a clear picture of what your challenges are?
- – Color Sensor / Camera / Consistency
- – Deciding on final materials
- – Revisit Design
- – Optimal Size?
How confident are you that you’ll finish/succeed? Give a number from 1 to 10 and explain. (1 unconfident, 10 it’s in the bag.)
- 8 – Biggest Challenge is time and Schedule & setting deadlines
Do you often finish things?
- – Yeah, often to a fault.
Do you have the skills? Are you an expert? A novice? Both are fine, but you should keep that in mind when thinking about scope and scale.
- – Phase 1 : Decide on the final design / materials – GOOD
- – Phase 2: Getting it Produced – HOPEFULLY WILL BE OK
- – Phase 3 : Marketing – GOOD – need to find PR contacts
Are you working on this alone?
- – With Louise Foo!
Describe a dream partner. What would they bring to the table?
- – Louise Foo. We are good at having both strong personal opinions and listening to each others viewpoint. She is more artistic and I am more practical and I like being opened up to artistic things and she tolerates my practicality 😉